Hunger Action Month: 3 Ways to Get Involved
This September, and every month, until no one goes hungry… the Second Harvest Food Bank network will lead efforts to meet urgent needs for food assistance and to bring our communities together to find solutions to the causes of hunger.
3 Simple Ways to Get Involved
1. Build Community. Inspire Action. Support the “We Can’t Run On Empty” Campaign
We all need healthy food to be able to do our best work. Yet, 1 in 6 people in our community faces hunger. Here’s a simple way to get people thinking and talking about feeding change and feeding community:
1. Complete the following sentence with a dry erase marker on a plate: “On an empty stomach, I can’t _____________.
2. Take a picture and post it to social media with a statement about something you can do to help end hunger.
3. Tag Second Harvest Food Bank and use the hashtags #feedingchange, #feedingchange and #hungeractionmonth, so we can share your posts!
2. Ask Your Members of Congress to Support a Strong Farm Bill
Nutritious food for families facing hunger starts with a strong Farm Bill. The farm bill contains important nutrition programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, sometimes called Food Stamps) and The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP). The current farm bill expires in 2018. NOW is the time to make sure our priorities for the bill are heard. Further cuts to SNAP will increase food insecurity in our communities. Find links to more information and actions you can take here.
3. Involve Kids
• Volunteer as a family. Second Harvest has over 450 partner pantries and many are volunteer run. Some age restrictions may apply, but at Second Harvest families with children over the age of 12 are welcome to come help us sort donations, and the Food Bank Garden takes volunteers (with an adult ) of all ages. Check out our list of partners to find a pantry near you and call them to get involved.
• Collect Donations. Involve your kids or grandkids in selecting healthy, nutritious food items for donation. You can make it a scavenger hunt, and it’s a good way to talk to your children about nutrition, too. For a list of our most needed, healthy items click here.
• Host a Hot Chocolate Stand or Bake Sale. Every $1 donated to Second Harvest provides 7 meals for families in need, but our favorite dollars are the ones that come from children’s fundraisers. Drink stands and bake sales are a fun way for kids to get involved; they can remind their customers why their work is so necessary for kids just like them. If your family is conducting a fundraiser for us, be sure to let us know!
Our supporters are always coming up with fun and creative ways for their families to get involved: Read a recent story here.