5 Things You Might Not Know About Second Harvest Food Bank
1. Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest North Carolina might be a huge 120,000 square foot warehouse facility based in Winston-Salem, but our work goes FAR beyond that: We are a network of over 450 on-the-ground partner agencies across 18 North Carolina counties reaching from Boone to Burlington.
2. Second Harvest moves 36 tons of food every day that we source from a wide variety of places: from our outstanding grocery partners to community food drives to The Food Bank Garden. Our work showcases the collective good and generosity of North Carolinians.
3. Second Harvest supports our partner network with food and so much more. We offer micro-grants to support our partners’ work , allowing them to purchase everything from freezers to tables that are safe for food preparation. We also offer advocacy, training, operational assistance, collaborative opportunities and more to our diverse network.
4. Second Harvest’s goal is to provide more than just calories. We offer nutritious, fresh food and produce free to our partner agencies and our Nutrition Services team brings cooking classes and food demonstrations on the road everyday to support our network.
5. Our work goes beyond food. Second Harvest provides much more than just meals. We are committed to asking why so many in our community are hungry and what the root causes of poverty are. We are working in innovative and collaborative ways with our partners to create long lasting community change in our region.