Take Action: Child Nutrition Reauthorization
Since the Child Nutrition Reauthorization expired on September 30, 2015, we at Second Harvest Food Bank have been anticipating proposed bills from both the House Education & Workforce Committee and the Senate Agriculture Committee. Our priorities, as well as Feeding America’s, for this Child Nutrition Reauthorization have been for a bill that does no harm to existing programs and that strengthens access to summer and after-school meals.
While the Senate Agriculture Committee’s bill is not as strong as we had hoped, it is more in line with our priorities than the one that came from the House Education & Workforce Committee’s bill. The House’s bill contains several proposals we find very harmful. Most concerning is a proposal to pilot block granting of the school meal programs in three states.
To learn more about our serious concerns about block grants and the harmful effects to the child nutrition program, please click here.
Call To Action
In response to the proposed block granting, we are asking our partner agencies to complete the following actions.
1. Sign-On Letter Opposing Block Grants: Support the statement opposing a block grant in the school meals program and share it with other organizations in your community. It is absolutely critical we have a strong showing of support from national and local organizations to push back on this harmful proposal. Sign on here.
2. Call-In Day on June 9: Please call your Members of Congress on June 9.
Calling Congress is easy. Here’s how:
1. Dial toll free number, (888) 398-8702 and listen to the pre-recorded message.
2. Enter your zip code. Once you are connected to your Member of Congress, state that you are a constituent and give your name and the town you are calling from.
3. Let the office know you are calling about the Child Nutrition Reauthorization.
Deliver this message to your Representative:
* My name is [NAME] and I am a constituent and supporter of [Your Organization] and Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest North Carolina. I am calling to ask the Representative to oppose any effort to block grant any of the child nutrition programs.
* Block Grants cap and cut critical funding to schools and threaten access to healthy meals for children.
* I hope the Representative will stand up for children. Congress must find a bipartisan path forward this year that protects and strengthens child nutrition programs to ensure our children have the nutrition they need to learn and thrive.
Please share this message with other organizations that support children as we need to send a strong message to Congress indicating our support of feeding our children.
Here you can create the content that will be used within the module.