Nutrition Services Programs
Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest NC's Nutrition Services Program offers a wide variety of educational programming and workshops for partner agencies and the neighbors in need we serve together. Programs and services are made possible through a USDA SNAP-Ed grant.
Led by our Nutrition Services staff this interactive presentation includes a food demonstration and covers a wide variety of USDA MyPlate-based topics--from creating a healthy menu plan to connecting what we eat to overall wellness. This opportunity is easily customized to the amount of time you have available. It is a great way to get important information out to those you serve and to support and encourage their efforts to live a healthy lifestyle.
This research-based, interactive curricula provides skills-based education about:
• How to make healthier choices
• How to prepare nutritious meals and
• How to maximize food resources
Courses meet for two hours, once a week for six weeks and are team-taught by a volunteer chef and nutrition educator. Second Harvest Food Bank offers five different Cooking Matters curricula.
- Cooking Matters for Adults - teaches adults how to prepare and shop sensibly for healthy meals on a limited budget. This curriculum is also available in Spanish (as Cooking Matters para adultos).
- Cooking Matters for Families - brings school-aged children and their families together to learn about healthy eating, planning meals as a family and working together in the kitchen. This curriculum is also available in Spanish (as Cooking Matters para familias).
- Cooking Matters for Teens - teaches adolescents in 6th grade and above how to make healthy food choices and prepare healthy meals and snacks for themselves, their families and their friends.
- Cooking Matters for Kids - teaches children in 3rd through 5th grade how to prepare healthy meals and snacks and to make smart choices wherever they go – at school, at home, at the store, or out to eat.
- Cooking Matters for Parents - teaches parents of young children how to model healthy eating habits and how to plan and prepare easy, affordable snacks and meals for the whole family.
Cooking Matters at the Store
Cooking Matters at the Store helps families make healthy and affordable choices at the supermarket. During a Cooking Matters at the Store tour, participants learn and practice skills that help them understand how to purchase fruits and vegetables on a budget, save money by comparing unit prices, and make healthier choices by reading food labels and ingredient lists.
* Cooking Matters is a program of Share Our Strength. Second Harvest Food Bank is proud to partner with Inter-Faith Food Shuttle, the North Carolina Cooking Matters lead, to provide these curricula.
Want to host a class at your partner agency/program?
Second Harvest Food Bank's Nutrition Services is an equal opportunity provider. USDA Non-Discrimination Statement
Contact Kina M. Charles, MS, RDN, LDN, Nutrition Services Manager, at 336.784.5770 or by email.
Back to Nutrition Service Portal Home Page